Tools needed for typical painting jobs

Tools and their uses

  • Tools and their uses
  • brushes: flat – narrow and wide, radiator brush
  • dust sheet
  • masking tape: narrow and wide
  • putty knife: narrow and wide
  • triangle paint scraper, scraper with a notch for a roller
  • plastic bucket
  • tray suitable for the roller or a grid
  • roller(s) large and wide, small and narrow
  • flat and Phillips screwdrivers, small and large
  • paint agitating stick
  • handle + sanding mesh, sandpaper or sanding sponge for sanding putty/fillers
  • mastic gun
  • possibly drill with an agitator for plaster
  • possibly decorator’s ladder




small brush – for painting all hard-to-reach places, around windows, at door frames etc.

large brush – for painting corners and arches or larger areas

curved brush, aka radiator brush – used for painting behind radiators or the radiators themselves

dust sheet – used to cover floors and furniture, to protect them from paint splashes. The cost of a dust sheet is small and the time saving during subsequent cleaning is enormous

masking tapes, narrow and wide – they are used to stick dust sheets to skirting boards and to cover window and door frames, sockets and all elements that can be unintentionally covered with paint when painting; they are also used when painting walls/ceilings in different colours to separate one colour from another

narrow and wide putty knives – used to apply putty to gaps and cracks on walls: a narrow metal putty knife can also be used to remove peeling paint from walls and to scrape off dried paint when cleaning

triangle scraper and a scraper with a notch for a roller – these are useful for removing flaking paint from walls and paint residue from the floor, windowsills and other places; you can also use the above-mentioned narrow putty knife for this purpose

plastic bucket, possibly left over from the previous paint jobs – you will need it to prepare the skim coat or gypsum for filling in gaps and cracks in the walls or to prepare a solution of water and cleaning agents for washing walls

paint tray – used to evenly scoop paint onto the roller, it is very convenient and practical to use – better than a grid mounted on the bucket, because not every bucket will be big enough for a grid and a roller

paint roller – large wall surfaces can be painted quickly, easily and evenly

screwdrivers – you may need them to unscrew/rewire sockets

paint agitator – all paints must be thoroughly stirred before use; you can do this thoroughly with a flat wooden agitator without getting splashed

mastic gun – when redecorating interiors, you can use the SILAKRYL acrylic compound to fill all the unsightly gaps around skirting boards and door frames

sanding mesh, sandpaper, sanding mesh holder or sanding sponge – when painting, it is often necessary to fill gaps or cracks in walls with putty; after it has been applied to the wall and once dry, it should be smoothed/sanded using a sanding mesh, sandpaper or a sanding sponge

mastic gun – when painting, unsightly gaps by skirting boards or door frames can be filled with SilAcryl acrylic compound – it is sold in tubes which require a mastic gun

drill with a plaster agitator – before use, powder putties used for filling gaps and levelling walls must be thoroughly mixed with water; this can be done most easily and accurately with a drilling machine and a plaster agitator

decorator’s ladder – aluminium (light and more expensive) or steel (heavier and cheaper) is a considerable expense, but will serve a variety of purposes in virtually every household for many years